Employment; All Town of DeWitt Police Department positions are civil service positions and are subject to the rules and regulations established through the New York State Civil Service Department and the Onondaga County Department of Personnel. The Town of DeWitt Police Department is an equal opportunity employer.
Employment may be pursued by the following methods:
1. Civil Service Test:
Onondaga County Dept of Personnel
421 Montgomery St. 13th Floor
Syracuse, NY 13214
2. Lateral Transfers; Resume may be forwarded to:
Captain Brenton White
Town of DeWitt Police Department
5400 Butternut Drive
East Syracuse, NY 13057
The Town of DeWitt Police Department is currently seeking lateral transfers for the position of Police Officer. Candidates must have a New York State Police Officer's certification issued by D.C.J.S. Increased pay and benefits are commensurate with training and experience. Please forward resumes to Captain Brenton White at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Police Officer Job Description:
Members of the force will be responsible at all times for the prevention of crime, enforcement of all laws and ordinances, preservation of the public peace, protection of life and property, arrest and prosecution of law violators and professional adherence to department rules and regulations.
New Hire Police Officers;
The Police Officer/Deputy Sheriff Civil Service exam is given 2 times per year. The maximum of the eligible list is three years. See www.ongov.net/Employment for the next exam announcement.
On the date of examination:
- Must be at least 19 years 6 months of age on or before (not eligible if 35 years of age or older, unless there is qualifying military duty) by date of the exam..
- Must have resided in the United States or one of its territories for not less than one month immediately preceding the date of the exam.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Must be 20 years of age.
- Must be a resident of Onondaga County or an adjoining county.
- Must be a high school graduate, possess a GED, or possess a U. S. Armed Forces General Education Certificate.
- Must possess a valid N. Y. State Driver’s License.
- Must meet prescribed general physical conditions as stated in the Municipal Police Training Council Standards (*see Physical Agility Test information below).
- Successful completion of initial interview, panel interview, and background investigation by DeWitt Police Department.
- Psychological and polygraph examinations will be required of any successful candidate prior to appointment.
- No conviction of a felony (conviction of a misdemeanor may bar employment).
- Successful completion of the New York State Municipal Training Council and DeWitt Police Department’s Training and Evaluation program.
*Physical Agility Test:
Elements of the test battery to be used for physical fitness screening are the following: Sit-up, Push up, and 1.5 mile Run. Although these elements may not be directly representative of essential job functions to be performed by an entry-level officer, such elements do measure the candidate’s physiological capacity to learn and perform the essential job functions. The minimum scores for employment as an entry-level police officer represent the 40th percentile of fitness. If a candidate does not score to the 40th percentile of fitness for each of the elements of the test battery, the candidate shall not be deemed to have successfully completed the physical fitness screening test. The 1.5 mile run shall only be administered to individuals that have successfully completed each of the other two elements of the test battery.
Police Officers employed within the State of New York or Onondaga County must be certified and must be employed (full time status) as a police officer and have passed a civil service exam to be considered for a transfer. Onondaga County will not allow direct transfers from out of state police agencies.